These delicious chewy ginger cookies are the result of my weekend adventure spent on a quest for the perfect cookie (I love my cookies a little bit crunchy on the outside with a soft chewy inside).
With these cookies I found I quickly perfected a flavour that I liked, using a mixture of ground ginger and allspice. It was the choice of sugar that proved to be the tricky part, as this seemed to have quite an effect on the outcome. I test trialed my recipe with treacle, soft brown sugar and melted butter, but ended up with flat or squidgy soft cookies. That slightly crunchy outside and soft chewy inside eluded me, so after a full day of baking I decided I had earned myself a glass of wine and bowl of pumpkin risotto before researching the side effects on cookie texture of various sugars.
Today I struck gold and had my eureka moment – it was a mixture of not one, but two sugars (plus a little golden syrup) that won the day! This combination created the perfect chewy ginger cookies. I had been getting my boyfriend to help taste all of the cookie batches as I went along (its a tough job but someone has to do it!) and these were the winners by a mile. In fact one or two definitely went astray prior to me photographing them…
I made two batches using my newly discovered chewy ginger cookie mixture, one with crystalised stem ginger strips mixed in and one without, and I think with the crystalised stem ginger tastes better – just adds another texture and a delicious hot sweet ginger kick. But I am a ginger fiend and love it when ginger flavoured baked goods shout ginger at me – so if you prefer a subtler flavour do feel free to omit these!
If you wanted to make different variations of this cookie you could drizzle the tops with dark chocolate, dip half of each of the chewy ginger cookies into melted chocolate or even sugar coat them with muscovado or soft brown sugar after baking. YUM.
- 1 Medium Egg
- 100g Softened Butter
- 100g Granulated Sugar
- 75g Soft Brown Sugar
- 250g Plain Flour
- ½ Teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Ginger
- Pinch of Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1 and ½ Tablespoons of Golden Syrup
- 12 - 14 Cubes of Crystalised Stem Ginger, cut into small pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 180'C and grease two baking trays.
- Cream together the butter and the two sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add the salt, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and allspice and mix until combined. Add the crystalised stem ginger if using.
- Add the flour and gently mix until a dry breadcrumb-like texture. Add the egg and golden syrup and mix until combined and the mixture cleans the bowl (add a small drop more golden syrup if needed)
- Roll the mixture into 38g - 40g ping-pong ball sized balls.
- Place on the baking tray at least 2 inches apart and bake for 15 minutes, until golden and cracks have appeared on the surface.
- Once cooked, leave to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.