Today was a chocolate day (they are the best kind of days) so I made these delicious easy peasy crunchy chocolate crackle cakes. These are brilliant for when you want to make a sweet treat but don’t have eggs or flour in the house, as they are made from basic cupboard ingredients.
They are super quick to make with no baking required because you create the entire mix in one saucepan, great for keeping the sink clear of washing up!
This recipe is one that belonged to my Granny, she added orange zest in her recipe, however I prefer to add plump juicy raisins. Feel free to experiment with dried mixed fruit, chocolate drops…or whatever you fancy!
Do make sure you use a metal spoon to stir in the cornflakes as a wooden spoon will crush them to a crumby gritty blob. Although it still tasted pretty good it was not quite the look or texture I was going for. And the cornflakes will get coated in the chocolate as you stir, just persist with stirring!
Top tip is to heat a tablespoon in hot water, dry it and whilst still quite warm use this to spoon the golden syrup in – helps it slide off the spoon. Be warned, these are very moreish!
- 19 Tablespoons of Cornflakes
- 3 Level tablespoons of Cocoa
- 3 Level tablespoons of Icing Sugar
- 3 Level tablespoons of Golden Syrup
- 28g (1oz) of Margarine
- 2-3 Tablespoons of Raisins Or 1 Teaspoon of Orange Zest.
- Place a large saucepan on the hob, and gently melt the margarine and golden syrup. Once melted add the cocoa powder and remove from the heat.
- Stir in the icing sugar.
- Using a metal spoon quickly and carefully mix in the cornflakes until they are all coated and add the raisins or orange zest.
- Spoon into cake cases - it is usually easiest to place them in a cupcake tin to hold their shape.
- Leave to cool, and enjoy!