Some days you just need something sweet to eat. Usually on a day when there is no chocolate in the cupboards, and you can’t be bothered to go and buy a chocolate bar. This happened to me at the weekend, when a jar of chocolate hazelnut spread caught my attention. Eating a spoonful of that, I decided I needed something more – time to get baking!
I decided to bake something that would be quick, sweet and delicious. Seeing as I already had a jar of chocolate hazelnut spread in my hand, I decided this would be my recipes focus. Inspired by many Nutella/hazelnut spread stuffed cookie recipes I’ve seen lots of other bloggers post, I decided to create my own chocolate hazelnut spread cookies.
Many other recipes are big squishy cookies, which look great, but I find a bit too sickly sweet. So I decided to make flatter cookies, with a lovely oozy middle. I baked two tray fulls, and whilst I photographed one batch, the other was my photography fuel.
I froze my chocolate hazelnut spread before cooking, so that it holds its shape better and you get the lovely gooey middle inside each cookie. If you are short on time you can roll the spread straight into each cookie, you will get a more marbled effect, and less of a gooey centre. They will still taste great though!
- 150g (5.3oz) Self Raising Flour
- 112g (4oz) Butter, softened.
- 112g (4oz) Light Soft Brown Sugar
- 1 Heaped Tablespoon Golden Syrup
- 12 Teaspoons of Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- Line a tray or plate with baking paper, and drop on 12 teaspoons of chocolate hazelnut spread, leaving a space between them. Place in the freezer for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180'C. Grease and roughly line two flat baking tins with baking paper.
- Cream together the butter and light soft brown sugar.
- Then add half of the self raising flour along with the golden syrup.
- Mix until combined (this can take a minute, mixture will seem quite dry at first but it will come together).
- Then mix in the rest of the flour.
- Take the frozen chocolate hazelnut blobs out of the freezer.
- Sandwich each blob in cookie dough, and roll into a ball.
- Place each ball on to the baking tray, with enough space between them to spread out.
- Bake for 14 - 16 minutes, or until they flatten, have cracks on the surface and turn golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool. They will harden a little as they cool.
Looking for more chocolate hazelnut spread recipe ideas?
Nutella Brioche Pudding by Fab Food 4 All
Nutella French Toast by Tin & Thyme
Nutella Millionare Shortbread by Kerry Cooks
Baked Nutella Peanut Butter Doughnuts by Recipes from a Pantry
Peanut Butter and Nutella Cream Pie by Munchies and Munchkins
Fudgy Nutella Brownie Bites by Casa Costello
Vegan Nutella Palmiers by Thinly Spread
More cookie recipes from Coriander Queen: