These dark chocolate peanut butter cookies are the business, rich crumbly peanut buttery cookie mixture with flecks of dark chocolate running through them. They are seriously seriously yummy! I ate SO much of the mixture while I was making them, I’m amazed I was left with any cookies at all.
I decided to play about with different flavours and ideas for cookies a few days ago, we had just got back from a lovely weekend in Paris and I had spent the morning hunched over my laptop catching up with my emails and some blog comments. Then I decided enough was enough, I needed to stretch my legs and make use of some of the lovely chocolate I had brought home from France.
I have a habit of looking at one ingredient and deciding a meal or bake around it, I saw a half empty jar of peanut butter and immediately decided I was going to make dark chocolate peanut butter cookies. That is a more obvious food decision of mine. I did once see a pickle/gherkin on the floor at a train station and just said ‘burgers’ my husband stood there looking baffled, ‘where on earth did that come from?!’ But thank you to whoever dropped that sliced pickle of inspiration – we had very delicious burgers for dinner that night! (Not using the pickle from the floor dare I add!!)
These are not soft squidgy cookies, more crumbly – the chocolate adds the soft gooeyness (I pop mine in a warm oven for a few minutes before eating – you could do this in a microwave but I find they go a bit soft and wierd). I used crunchy peanut butter for mine as I like having pieces of peanut in my cookies, think it gives it a nice added crunchy texture. Smooth would work just fine though if you are not a fan of crunchy!
If you loved these you may also like my delicious Chocolate Orange Oat Bars – perfect for lunchboxes!
- 75g Plain Flour
- 2 Heaped Tablespoons of Peanut Butter
- 45g Caster sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Teaspoon of Golden Syrup
- Pinch of Salt
- 50g Butter
- 50g Dark Chocolate
- Mix together the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until they are completely combined.
- Add half of the plain flour along with the salt.
- Then add the peanut butter, golden syrup and egg yolk and mix.
- Add the remainder of the flour and combine (this may take a while by hand)
- Get a rolling pin, put the chocolate in a food bag or keep it in its original wrapper and bash it with the rolling pin. Tip all of the smaller pieces into the mixture, set aside any larger chunks.
- Roll the mixture into small balls, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 20 mins.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and pre-heat the oven to 180'C.
- Place the cookie balls onto a tray, and gently flatten each one a little with your palm. Don't make them too thin!
- Press the remaining larger chunks of chocolate into the top of the cookie and place in the middle of the oven.
- Bake for 15 mins, remove from the oven and leave to cool. (They will be very soft when first removed from the oven, they will harden as they cool!)