Ahh cookies. One of the best food inventions ever? I think so – especially when they taste as good as these golden chewy M&M cookies!
I was rummaging around in my baking cupboard to see if I had another bag of caster sugar lurking anywhere (so I wouldn’t have to go out in the torrential rain to buy some and then inevitably find a bag as soon as I got home), when I stumbled across a bag of M&Ms leftover from Christmas. Right there on the spot I decided that the cake I had planned could wait, fate seemed to have told me that today should be a cookie day.
One reason why I love this recipe is because you can make it without eggs – as children we never seemed to have eggs in the house when I wanted to bake, but now my mum has chickens, problem solved! This is also a great recipe to make with children, it is easy, fun and they can squeeze and press the dough and it won’t matter too much!
I used M&Ms instead of smarties simply because smarties in the UK are now quite pale in colour – they would make pretty pastel cookies, but I wanted colourful and bold. I rolled mine into the dough so you get the odd speck of color sticking out of the top and sides of each cookie and then find more M&Ms concealed inside as you bite into them.
If you want most of the M&Ms to be visible roll a few into the dough, place the dough balls onto the baking tray and flatten a little with your hand – then simply poke the rest of the M&Ms into the top of each cookie before they are baked.
When you are making the cookie dough you will find it is dry for a little while, but persevere and keep mixing and it will combine – if you are really struggling just add a little extra drizzle of golden syrup. These will keep for 2 – 3 days in an airtight container. Perfect for popping into lunchboxes as a treat! (Or just eating straight from the jar…)
If you liked these you may also like: Ginger and Oat Cookies
- 70 - 75g M&Ms (or Smarties)
- 150g (5.3oz) Self Raising Flour
- 112g (4oz) Butter
- 112g (4oz) Light Soft Brown Sugar
- 1 Heaped Tablespoon Golden Syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180'C. Grease and roughly line a flat baking tin with baking paper.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Then add half of the self raising flour along with the golden syrup and mix until combined (this can take a minute, mixture will seem quite dry at first but it will come together).
- Then mix in the rest of the flour until combined, roll into a rough ball.
- Mix in the M&Ms if you want them scattered inside your cookies.
- Roll into ping pong sized balls and place them spaced apart on the tray.
- If you want M&Ms on the top of the cookies, gently flatten the top of each ball and poke M&Ms into the surface.
- Bake for 12 - 14 minutes, or until they flatten a little, have cracks on the surface and turn golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Store in an airtight container, they will keep for a few days.