I adore grenadine, it conjures up a taste of holidays and summertime. We used to go on holiday as a family to France when I was little, and a big bottle of grenadine syrup would always somehow make its way into the shopping trolley. So for me grenadine makes the perfect base for a tropical layered summer cocktail, takes me back to sunny afternoons by the swimming pool, as well as giving a gorgeous colour to the drink.
The recipe below makes one large cocktail, its a lovely fruity long drink. It works best to make it in a margarita glass, so you can pour each layer around the wide part of the base so that they mix as little as possible, or you could use the back of a spoon to help it layer. If you don’t have any golden or dark rum this cocktail also tastes delicious with whisky as the spirit as well.
Its a lovely celebration drink and really looks fantastic, you could top it with a lime slice on the edge of the glass, a cocktail umbrella or half a passion fruit floating on the top. I usually give mine a stir after the first few sips – get that lovely grenadine combined with the orange and passion fruit juice.
Looking for a gin based summer cocktail? Try this Spring Sunshine Cocktail from Rough Measures!
- 35ml Grenadine Syrup
- 70ml Orange Juice
- 70ml Passion fruit Juice
- 35ml Rum (whisky also works well)
- Squeeze of Lime
- Tip ice cubes into a large margarita glass and top with cold water. Set aside to chill.
- Measure out the grenadine syrup, tip the water and ice out of your glass and dry.
- Pour the grenadine into the base of the glass.
- Next add the passion fruit juice, either pour over the back of a spoon or around the bowl of the glass to ensure clear layers.
- Add the rum in the same way, followed by the orange juice.
- Add a squeeze of lime juice, taste and enjoy!