The extraction process of oat milk is from oat grains by adding water to it. It is commonly used as an alternative to milk and is vegan. The texture of oat milk is creamy and tastes much like oats.
- Can You Freeze Oat Milk?
- Step-by-Step Guide to Freeze Oat Milk
- Is it Safe to Freeze Oat Milk?
- How to Thaw Frozen Oat Milk?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Can you freeze Alpro oat milk?
- Can you freeze Chobany oat milk?
- Can you freeze fresh oat milk?
- Can you freeze store-bought oat milk?
- Can you freeze planet oat milk?
- Can you freeze oat milk yogurt?
- Can you freeze oat milk for smoothies?
- Can you freeze oat milk for ice cream?
- Can you freeze oat milk coffee creamer?
Can You Freeze Oat Milk?
Yes. you can freeze oat milk by storing the unsealed carton of milk as it is. In the case of sealed or used oat milk, it is better to pour the milk in a freezer-safe bottle and store it in the freezer. Lastly, it is safe to use frozen oat milk for about six months.
Step-by-Step Guide to Freeze Oat Milk
Some companies manufacture oat milk in different flavors, such as vanilla and chocolate. It is used as an alternative to dairy products and is also nut-free.
There are two different ways to freeze and use oat milk. Here are the two methods and step-by-step processes that you can follow:
Method 1 – Freezing Oat Milk in a Carton Box
Step 1: If you have purchased oat milk in a carton box, it can be kept frozen as it is. However, the carton box must be sturdy to withstand the temperatures.
Step 2: In case if you have doubts about the durability of the carton box, you can use a Ziploc bag or a freezer-safe bag.
Step 3: If you want to freeze it after a few days of keeping it in your kitchen, you should label the date you left it in the freezer.
Method 2 – Freezing Oat Milk in Freezer Safe Bottle
Step 1: Once the carton is opened, the oat milk should be transferred to a freezer-safe bottle.
Step 2: Allow at least 1 inch in terms of space in the bottle after you pour the oat milk. It is because the oat milk tends to expand a little while kept in freezing conditions. In case if you fail to allow space, there are chances of the bottle breaking in the freezer.
Step 3: Label the bottle on the date you kept it in the freezer. You should be able to keep the bottle frozen for up to 6 months before using it.
Other Useful Tips
- Any method mentioned above that you choose can keep the oat milk frozen and safe to consume for up to six months. Although it can be consumed beyond that period, health experts would not recommend it.
- Remember, freezing oat milk would change its texture forever. Although the texture change is limited, you can still notice it when you consume it.
- Refreezing oat milk is never an option. Once frozen and thawed, the oat milk must be finished and leftovers discarded.
- Thawed oat milk can be kept in the refrigerator and used for up to ten days.
- Lastly, the freezer-safe bottle should be allowed to have at least 1 inch of free space. It is to ensure that the oat milk is contained in the bottle after you have kept it in the freezer. It would also ensure that the freezer-safe bottle does not break.
Recommended further reading:
Is it Safe to Freeze Oat Milk?
Yes, it is safe to freeze, store, and use oat milk. Frozen oat milk might last for up to six months in a frozen state. Once unsealed, the oat milk can be stored frozen or refrigerated.
Oat milk can stay good for up to 10 days in a refrigerator without freezing it. Remember that oat milk will have a grainy texture after going through the freezing and thawing process.
However, it is still safe to consume it as the texture change is one of its properties.
How to Thaw Frozen Oat Milk?
We gave you step-by-step instructions on how to freeze oat milk in a carton and a freezer-safe bottle. The good news is that oat milk frozen using both methods can be thawed using the same process. So, here are the steps to thaw oat milk in the best manner possible.
Step 1: Remove the freezer-safe bottle or carton from the freezer.
Step 2: Keep it in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours to thaw it.
Step 3: In case if you want to use oat milk in the morning, overnight thawing in the refrigerator is recommended.
Step 4: Once completely thawed, the oat milk would be ready for consumption or cooking purposes as an ingredient.
Other Useful Tips
- Defrosted oat milk cannot be frozen again due to its properties. You would completely lose its creamy nature, and it may not be ideal for consumption in any form. Though the refrozen and thawed oat milk is safe for consumption in different forms, you should not refreeze it.
- Thawed oat milk can be refrigerated and used for up to 10 days without losing too many properties of the milk.
- The grainy nature of the oat milk can slightly be reduced. You can use a nut milk bag or a cheesecloth to considerably curtail the grainy properties of the frozen and thawed oat milk.
- You can still enjoy the oat milk that is grainy in texture for your cereals, oatmeal, or granola as you would be munching on these food items. You would barely notice the granules in the oat milk when you consume these food items.
- If you are planning on refrigerating oat milk after thawing it, please remember to label it with the date of refrigeration.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can you freeze Alpro oat milk?
Yes, you can both freeze Alpro oat milk as well as heat it. You can freeze this directly if the carton is sealed. Once opened, it is safe to freeze this product in freezer-safe bottles. Remember to leave a gap of 1 inch to ensure that the bottle does not break inside the freezer.
Can you freeze Chobany oat milk?
Yes, Chobany oat milk can be frozen and used safely. It can also be frozen and stored in the original carton box (only if unsealed). Use freezer-safe bottles after opening or are breaking the seal. Storage in a freezer lasts up to six months, while refrigerated oat milk can last for about ten days.
Can you freeze fresh oat milk?
Yes, fresh oat milk can be frozen and reused. Since fresh oat milk sits well in a freezer, you can use it for up to six months from the time you froze it. Remember to store it using the appropriate process. Use a freezer-safe bottle or the original carton box.
Can you freeze store-bought oat milk?
Yes, you can freeze store-bought oat milk too. Many brands sell both sweetened and unsweetened oat milk, and most of them have a good shelf life when the seal is not opened. However, it should be frozen or refrigerated for later use once the seal is broken.
Can you freeze planet oat milk?
Yes, you can freeze planet oat milk. Frozen planet milk can stay put for up to six months. However, remember that it may be grainy in texture after thawing it. Refrigerated planet milk can last for up to ten days from the time the seal is broken.
Can you freeze oat milk yogurt?
Yes, oat milk yogurt can be frozen. You have to thaw it using the refrigeration process before you use it, and it might require about 10 to 12 hours before the oat milk yogurt would be good for consumption.
Can you freeze oat milk for smoothies?
Yes, oat milk can be frozen and used for smoothies as well. You should thaw the frozen oat milk in the refrigerator before using it. You must know that the texture of the oat milk may change and become slightly grainy, but it is an incredible addition to smoothies.
Can you freeze oat milk for ice cream?
Yes, you can freeze oat milk for ice cream and use it. You should thaw the frozen oat milk overnight before using it to make an ice cream recipe. If you wish for the grainy texture to be removed, you can use a cheesecloth or nut milk bag to get rid of them.
Can you freeze oat milk coffee creamer?
No, freezing oat milk coffee creamer may not be ideal, although it can be done. It is due to the way oat milk responds to being frozen, and you would find that the texture has changed from creamy to slightly grainy. It might not be an ideal form that you can use for coffee.
Recommended further reading:
Oat milk from different manufacturers can be frozen using the same process. The freezing process is also applicable for fresh oat milk that is flavored, sweetened, or unsweetened.
You have to clearly follow the refrigerated thawing process of the oat milk to ensure its usability. You should also use a decent gap if you choose to freeze oat milk in freezer-safe bottles. Storing oat milk in cartons is often considered an easier option by people.